Thursday 30 October 2014

Daniel Sturridge injury: Liverpool striker suggests problems could be linked with 'Caribbean vibes

Welcome to chizu ifejika's blog
Daniel Sturridge has suggested his injury woes could be hereditary.

The Liverpool striker has managed to play just four games so far this season, playing a role in the Reds' initially positive start to the campaign before succumbing to a thigh injury whilst training with the England team.

His absence has been sorely felt, particularly due to the departure of Luis Suarez over the summer, with Liverpool struggling to hit the back of the net and finding themselves seventh in the Premier League table, nine points behind leaders Chelsea.
Sturridge was due to return earlier this month, but on the eve of Liverpool's match against QPR, it emerged the 25-year-old had suffered a fresh set-back, hurting his calf in training.

In an interview with Talksport, Sturridge has suggested his injury problems which have consistently hampered his career, could be hereditary.

“I’ve been unfortunate this season to pick up injuries. Maybe it’s my body type and hereditary,” he said.

“My uncle Dean had a lot of muscle problems when he played, uncle Simon the same, and my dad. Maybe it’s the Caribbean vibes. [I have] fast-twitch muscles, I am more vulnerable to muscle injuries. As to whether I will be one of the best player in Europe or the world, for me, as long as I continue to work hard everything will take care of itself.”
Sturridge hopes to make an immediate impact on his return, however warned Liverpool fans that he won't be a "genius" as soon as he comes back.

“I’ve genuinely missed playing and it has been one of the most difficult times for myself,” said Sturridge.

“It has been since I got the first injury with England. It has been mentally difficult to deal with it because I want to be playing and I am putting pressure on myself to be out there because I miss it. It’s not just a job for me. I love it. For me to be missing games is devastating but I have to deal with the cards I have been dealt and think everything happens for a reason.

“Of course, watching the games is the most difficult thing but I have been pushing myself in training to make sure when I come back I am prepared and I am not going to breakdown.

“I was unfortunate with the calf injury. When I come back I am hoping to score goals and help the team win games.

“I’m not going to say I am going to come back and be a genius because everyone takes time to come back from injuries. I know what is expected of myself and what is expected when you put the Liverpool shirt on. I can’t wait to get back to try to help the team try to win something this season."

No comments:

Post a Comment